Let’s face it, more often than not – mornings can be hectic. And although breakfast is often described as being the most important meal of the day, it is also the meal that we are most likely to skip.
This doesn’t necessarily bode well for ketogenic dieters, as convenience foods such as toast and cereals are definitely off the menu. But having a cooked breakfast consisting of fats and proteins (such as bacon, sausage and eggs for example) isn’t really all that practical if you’re running a tight schedule. Sometimes we just want something quick and easy before we rush off to work, or drag ourselves to the gym.
That’s why we’ve come up with a couple of quick and easy keto-friendly breakfast recipes that you can create in fifteen minutes or less!
Microwaved Egg Muffin
This recipe might sound a little strange, but it actually works surprisingly well – and the mixture can actually be prepped in advance – saving you even more time. If you have a few extra minutes, however, then you can also bake a batch of these in the oven inside a muffin tray.
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 scallions, chopped as fine as you can get them
- A handful of fresh, babyleaf spinach
- 2 or 3 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Half a cup of grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and stir thoroughly
- Transfer the mixture to a medium sized, microwave proof bowl (if you can get your hands on a silicone one then this works very well) or two microwave-proof cups or mugs
- Transfer to the microwave and nuke on full power for one minute
- Remove from the microwave and check that the egg is cooked – if it isn’t, continue to cook in 20 second bursts until the mixture is solid, but not overcooked
- Transfer from the cups or bowl, and serve
Tip: if you grease the containers with butter, you’ll have a much easier time transferring the ‘muffins’ onto your plate.
Supergreen Protein Smoothie
This recipe is super simple and easy to make. We recommend either using unflavoured whey protein powder, or failing that, opt for a mild flavour such as vanilla (strong or distinctive flavours such as chocolate or strawberry don’t tend to mix well with leafy greens!)
- A scoop of protein powder
- 1 avocado, roughly chopped
- 1 cup of spinach
- Half a cup of curly kale
- A tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 celery stick, roughly chopped
- 2 cups of water
- A few ice cubes
- Place all of the vegetables into a blender
- Add the scoop of protein powder, followed by the water and coconut oil
- Blitz until the mixture is smooth, adding more water if necessary
- Add the ice cubes and give the whole thing a final blitz to ensure that there are no lumps
- Transfer to a large glass and enjoy
So there we have it! Two super easy and totally keto-friendly breakfasts for when you’re in the midst of a morning rush. If you enjoyed these fifteen minute recipes, then check out our Keto Lunches in a Hurry and Keto Light Bites in a Hurry posts. It’s one of our aims here at Ketoship to show our readers that keto cooking doesn’t have to be time consuming or complicated – and there really are alternative options to carb-loaded convenience food, even when time is of the essence.
Do you have a quick and easy keto breakfast recipe that youd like to share? Please tell us about it in the comments section below!